Saturday, September 27, 2008

So who gets the parachute?

So we've all heard about the bank crisis and money and this bailout. But do we know who exactly is going to get helped and who is going to get shafted? Is this bailout just a way for all those politicians to help out and save their banking friends because their money is invested in the failed banks? Perhaps someone important within those banks is a big supporter of their political party or a big lobbyist type. Or are they actually trying to help the American people for once?
So as usual I am commenting on something that I don't really know a whole lot about. But hey, I gave you fair warning about that when I started this whole blog. From what I've been able to understand, banks have failed because their investments of money did not work as they had hoped. So as in whenever an investment goes bad and the stock in something fails, money is lost. However now that these banks have lost money in investments now haven't got enough money of their own left to operate. Operate how, as businesses, as banks, as investment firms? I don't know about many of you but to me a bank is someplace to put money for safekeeping and to allow it to earn interest while it sits nice and cozy in a vault or computer memory bank and does nothing. If I wanted to invest in the stock market and go for a big windfall of stock exchange success, I would go to one of those companies that does only that a specialized type of firm of course. Not one a bank who I think is just supposed to hold money, pay interest, and collect a lot of fees for idiotic things.
Now this bailout, who and what is this money going to go towards? Personally, if anything this money should go towards making sure these banks can keep paying their employees. Hold on a second let me finish. By employees I mean the tellers and the people who go to work everyday and do their job. The employees who actually go home each day and probably have to worry about whether or not they are still making enough money to keep gas in their car, feed their family, keep their house and car. I do not mean employee as in the board room type of employees who go home every night and worry about whether or not to by that new BMW in black or silver, or should they buy that beach house in Maine. Those people can go without a paycheck for a little bit to help out their loyal worker bees who are responsible for keeping faith in the company amongst the consumers.
This bailout money can also go towards keeping the banks solvent and afloat and working. And so doing lower the interest on many mortgages perhaps to keep home owners in their homes, consumers and investors keeping their money in the bank instead of the mattress plan. Later today I have to go to my bank and roll what's left of my ESOP payout from my last job into a retirement related fund. I'm nervous about what is going to happen to my money after I put it in, but you know what? I have to do it now, I can't wait until this bailout comes through or falls apart. I can't wait for the financial world to settle down and stop scaring the crap out of everyone. I have to do it now or the federal government will tax the living boogles out of me and then fine me for taking money from my "retirement" fund before I was old and gray(er). But that's another story.
So is this bailout a good thing or a bad thing? I honestly don't know. It would be a good thing if the money went towards what it really should. But we all know that what is actually going to happen is those banks are going to get the money and reinvest it into the same failing stocks that they did in the first place. Of course they'll say they are doing it to help the struggling economy in those areas, but then they'll decide to retire or leave their posts in less than a year and because of some contract or deal they made when they were first hired they will get a "bonus" for their hard work. A "bonus" that the company now has enough money to pay them since they got this bail out money from the government. Bailout money that is more than likely going to come out of the pockets of you and me and all the little people in munchkin land.
Okay I've babbled long enough so again Thank You for reading down this far. Sit back and enjoy some nice cream cheese.

No comments: